Tuesday, July 12, 2011

DAVID COOK - This Loud Morning (2011)

DAVID COOK - This Loud Morning ITUNES (2011)

iTunes version





If you live outside the USA, may not now David Cook.

He has won American Idol seventh season in 2008 and released his first solo album on a major label the same year.

Two and a half years after his post-A.I. debut, David is making his way back onto the music scene with his sophomore effort, "This Loud Morning".



At this point maybe you're wondering what a 'mainstream modern rock' artist is doing here on this blog.

Well, first of all, Cook's music could be commercial, sometimes radio-ready and a bit modern, but in its essence is firmly based into classic rock roots.

Second, he's a complete musician; good songwriter, guitar player and a terrific singer.

And third, and most important, Cook is a really good artist, simply like that. And play rock. Good rock.



Mainly vocalist, David is a tenor, but possessor of a stunning instrument that is actually rather rare in rock/pop music. The man has a very large voice with a great deal of ring and resonance, that can be pushed to dramatic climaxes more easily than the usual light leggiero voices or warm, bright lyric tenors.

Cook trips lightly from a beautiful and more certain lower register into that dark and velvety, firm middle voice upwards to the full-throated tenor glory notes, and at times into a gorgeous falsetto, all seamlessly.



There are spots where I could imagine Steve Perry singing some of the tracks in his glory days.

Yeah, call me crazy or sacrilegious... but I believe that Cook is one the best rock tenors since Perry. Their high notes are equally glorious but different, and of course, the song material is also different; we're in 2011.

Also, sometimes Cook reminds me Harry Hess of Harem Scarem. It's no surprise that I mention this band, as several of the tracks on "This Loud Morning" sounds like the late '90s / 2000's Harem Scarem.



"This Loud Morning" is a commercial Rock&Pop multi-layered endeavor replete with beautiful details, from lush orchestration, vocal and instrumental countermelodies and musical tie-ins, majestically produced by Matt Serletic.

It must be listened to several times before any fair judgment can be made.

The musicians are highly skilled including Serletic himself who leaves no stone unturned in his production.

David's band-mates are first rate, including L.A. session legend Tim Pierce on guitars, the precise bass player Monty Anderson and the ever energetic young drummer Kyle Peek, among a long list of performers.

Cook also co-wrote all the songs with a selection of composers, between them the accustomed Marti Frederiksen, responsible of many '80s hits and soundtracks.

(partially reviewed by Rebecca "beckylink" @magicalbeck)





Sticking with the same rock influences present on his previous record, the album includes some really good anthemic and big rock tunes with bridges that swell massively, and driving guitars infusing catchy melodies.

Of course there's also some radio-ready tracks that aren't exactly my cup of tea, but considering this is mainstream CD, it's triumph that a rock based disc hit the charts.

This isn't a collection of singles thrown together and packaged perfectly to fit in the pop-laden industry.

Even in his softest-poppy moments, David's voice stays strong and true, which is such a nice change from the auto-tuned artists shoved down the public's throat on a daily basis.

A mainstay on the Tulsa music scene before winning the seventh season of 'Idol', Cook rose to national fame on a reality TV show, but in many ways, the singer/songwriter/guitarist can be regarded as a throwback.

Not only is he releasing a bona fide album in the digital-garbage-pop era, he also continues to favor the 'real rock' firmly rooted in the classic pattern.

Set aside prejudices and give it a try.





01 - Circadian

02 - Right Here, With You

03 - We Believe

04 - Fade Into Me

05 - Hard to Believe

06 - Take Me As I Am

07 - Time Marches On

08 - The Last Goodbye

09 - Paper Heart

10 - 4 Letter Word

11 - Goodbye to the Girl

12 - Rapid Eye Movement

13 - This Is Not The Last Time [bonus track]

14 - Sunlight [bonus track iTunes exclusive]

15 - Don't You (Forget About Me) [Simple Minds cover / single only]





Vocals, Guitar: David Cook

Guitars: Neal Tieman, Tim Pierce, Joel Shearer

Bass: Monty Anderson, Chris Chaney

Keyboards: Andy Skib, Matt Serletic

Drums: Kyle Peek, Dorian Crozier









BUY IT !

www.davidcookofficial.com

18 comments:

Anonymous,  Wednesday, July 13, 2011  

Reminds me of JR Richards, one of my favorite artists who makes a great combination of rock and pop.

Anonymous,  Saturday, August 13, 2011  

liked his first cd better this one yuck.

gomez Saturday, August 13, 2011  

This is about my best CD that I have bought in the last 5 years or so. Definitely my favorite.

Pat,  Saturday, August 13, 2011  

Complex rock album, better than any I've heard in a Very long time. About time someone made good music again.

MJ,  Saturday, August 13, 2011  

I'm really glad I'm not the only one to catch the similarities to Harem Scarem/Harry Hess. David's voice is very similar, to the point where I feel like he could have covered something from the Mood Swings/Voice of Reason era and pulled it off well. I discovered him through Idol but I feel his first album definitely dampened down the talent I knew was there after hearing his indie album "Analog Heart". I'm glad he got to show his full abilities on TLM. Thank you so much for giving this album a fair shot, and I hope others do too after reading this.

Anonymous,  Saturday, August 13, 2011  

I really like this album, the vocals and instrumentation are just great. I agree with the reviewer that Cook's powerful voice reminds you of the great Steve Perry. The album is a pleasant departure from the stuff out there today. I really hope people give it a chance. One listen and I was hooked.

ginaM,  Saturday, August 13, 2011  

Great review. David Cook's voice is a welcome relief to the industry auto-tuned crap shoved down our throats on most radio formats. Circadian and R.E.M. reminds me classic rock tracks made from 70's rock albums.

mlarracuente Saturday, August 13, 2011  

This Loud Morning is a beautiful album, a breath of fresh air. No auto tuning, crappy lyrics or non-sense melodies on this one. David did not follow the cookie-cutter mold so popular these days but his heart and passion. For that reason alone, I have the utmost admiration and respect for David Cook.
Very well-written review from someone that actually listened to the whole album.

Anonymous,  Saturday, August 13, 2011  

This review is Horse Hockey! This CD has Bombed BIGTIME in the US - It has failed on all levels, and to lie about Cook's vocals and range being anywhere close to Steve Perry's? RIDICULOUS. This CD isn't worth the effort to buy or listen to. This puff piece of a review is laughable, just laughable.

Anonymous,  Saturday, August 13, 2011  

Here are my main issues with the album...David can sing but his voice just doesn't do a thing for me. It's pretty emotionless really. I much perfer a voice like the guy from The Script that has some character to his voice. Having said that, I might find David's voice lifeless on these songs because the production is so horrible. Everything sounds fine but the whole album is so BORING. Circadian sounded promising for the first minute, then this huge, overproduced and oversung chorus kicks in. And that same buzzkill happens on every one of these songs. It's a shame really.

Anonymous,  Saturday, August 13, 2011  

He needs to get these new songs on the road somehow and have people talking about him again. I personally think he really needs to consider an opening spot on a big tour. I have to wonder about the major lack of radio support in the US. I don't know but something just isn't clicking. David and the label had all the time in the world to produce this CD, and we got subpar material. The audience knows this, and that's why no one is talking about his album, and his single The Last Goodbye has flopped.

Anonymous,  Saturday, August 13, 2011  

As a loyal fan of David Cook and his music, it's always a pleasure to read a favorable review of his work. For this, I thank you. However, I wish you had written it entirely in your own words. I can barely blame you for stealing the beautiful and desciptive language used by the orginal author in her Amazon review, most notably in your third paragraph. Crediting her for her words would have cost you nothing and gained you some respect from Mr. Cooks ever vigilant fans.

hummingbird,  Sunday, August 14, 2011  

I also would like to address the 2 posters that just had to make very negative comments about the album and David Cook himself.

First to the poster that said the review was Horse Hockey and the album has bombed on every level in the U.S., you are just wrong. Yes, sales have been less than stellar, but if you know anything at all about the state of the music industry in the U.S. or Worldwide for that matter, you would know that album sales are in the weeds for almost everyone. There are only a handfull or 2 of artists that come out of the gates selling well, and even they are not selling like they did 3 years ago.

To the poster that calls David's voice emotionless, and lifeless, WOW. Just WOW! That guy from the Script you are talking about is Danny, and although he does have a good voice and I am do but their music, his voice is not even comparable to David's on any level. They are two totally different artists with totally different styles. What I hear in David's voice on this album is every emotion I can think of right now, sadness, loss, dispair, mourning, pleading, yearning, longing, anger, love, acceptance, happiness, relief. I am sure there are more, but that is what I have felt tonight as I was listening 3 times.

There are a lot of different opinions in this world and everyone has one. I know everyone is not going to like David Cook. I just wonder why the two of you felt the need to go to a very good review and say such negative things. If you don't like it, go start your own blog for haters and post there. Actually, I was always taught that if you didn't have something nice to say, just say nothing at all, but if you just had to, at least be respectful about your comments.

0dayrock,  Tuesday, August 16, 2011  

@ magicalbeck :

You're so boring.
We didn't removed anything. Blogger auto-spam blocker did. That's because you post compulsively over and over from the same IP.
Open your eyes are read: You're credited since yesterday.
And if you still are not satisfied, well, you already contacted us (spamming), all your 'Pulitzer awarded' stuff will be removed.

magicalbeck,  Tuesday, August 16, 2011  

You don't have to be nasty about it. I told you I thought you made good points, and that I wanted simply the right thing to be done. Other people posted only once; they weren't from my IP address. I do not know most of them. Only one. But they were familiar with my review.
You make fun of my writing, yet it was used(!!) so must have been pretty decent. I never claimed it was Pulitzer Prize material! Reviews never are. This is silly.
But I am glad that you credited me. I just don't know why you are so unhappy to do it. and you offer no apology to me!
I had a right to be upset, and you know this is true. I am glad you really like the CD though and I hope that this ends the problem. Would you do me one more favor, since you used my words? Please add the name @magicalbeck after beckylink? I go by this name on the internet especially regarding David Cook matters. I LOVE his music as you can see!
Thank you very much. I appreciate that you thought enough of my review to use it. You may remove these last 3 comments now (hopefully) and we will have peace about this whole thing.
you are right - people should buy this! and I am glad we can now leave the entire review as it might help sell the record, at least a little! :)

0dayrock,  Wednesday, August 17, 2011  

@ magicalbeck :

" @magicalbeck " added.
Nothing will be removed (we never do that, this is a free speech space), just the anti-spam filter is a bit jealous when comments are too often.
Our apologies about this issue.

0dayrock,  Thursday, August 18, 2011  

@ hummingbird:
You tell me. Simply it does. It happened before on other posts when comments are too often.
We can't do anything to configure a setting. Spam-Bocker is ON 'cos more than 50 comments a day are spam ads.

hummingbird,  Friday, August 19, 2011  

0dayrock:

Thank you for the reply. I was just curious as to how a spam filter would cut half off of a comment but not all of it. Maybe it is configured to pick up certain trigger words.

I do understand about Spam-Blockers and why it is necessary. IE all the spamming in comments - people trying to push their products or agendas on anyone or everyone who will listen.

hit counter
Unique Visitors
View My Stats

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP